News and Announcements
Hi Swim Families
Swim practices will continue to be considerably different. In order to hold swim practices this fall we have had to complete safety plans for the club and the facility that follow Provincial Health Officer guidelines, BCSSA guidelines, and Sport guidelines set out by the Province of BC. We want you to know that we are going to be cautious in returning to the pool because the safety of our swimmers is of utmost importance and we want to continue swimming. We are lucky to be able to swim as many facilities in the province are not opening including some within the Kootenay Region. Our safety plans are attached to this email and you can find them on our team web page at www.nelsonneptunes.teampages.com. Please read the plans in detail. In addition, there is some extremely important information below:
1. Masks: All swimmers must wear masks (cloth or otherwise) at all times in the facility except while swimming. The coaches will direct the swimmers when they can remove their masks. Failure to comply with this policy will result in removal from that practice and continued violations will result in removal from the swim season without refund. We will not be providing masks so please bring one.
2. Arrival and Entrance: All swimmers must arrive 15 minutes prior to their swim practice outside the front doors to the facility. Please maintain social distancing while waiting. The coaches will do COVID screening with the swimmers and then escort them in to the pool 5 minutes prior to the practice. The doors are locked so please don’t be late or you may not be able to get in to the facility.
3. Swimsuits and Change Rooms: All swimmers must have their swim suit on underneath their clothes upon arrival. Change rooms are now available after practice only. Swimmers will be escorted to a spot on the pool deck where they will remove their outer garments and get ready to swim. Following the practice, swimmers will put their clothes on over their swim suits or proceed to the change room wearing a mask and leave out the hot tub doors. So please have your swimmer wear warm and thick clothes to keep them warm with wet bathing suits on.
4. Parents: Parents will not be permitted inside the facility at all. There are limits on the overall capacity of the facility so we can not have spectators. We’ll do a great job with your kids and when you watch them next we are sure you will notice improvements.
5. Equipment: Swimmers must bring their own goggles and the sharing of equipment will not be permitted. Be sure to bring a water bottle as the fountains will not be available. We will not be permitted to use any of the facility equipment, but the Neptunes will provide kick boards and pull buoys during the practices. Please tell your swimmer that he/she will be provided a unique kick board and pull buoy during the practice (if the coaches require it) and the swimmers are not permitted to share these during the practice.
6. Bathrooms: Swimmers should use the bathroom prior to attending practice, but if he/she has to go during practice, there is one bathroom available. Of course, masks will need to be worn to and from and hand washing is mandatory.
7. Illness: If your swimmer is experiencing any COVID like symptoms or cold/flu like symptoms, they will not be permitted to swim and will need to leave the facility immediately. So please make sure you screen your swimmer prior to dropping him/her off. Please see the attached COVID screening questions that your swimmer will be asked prior to entering the facility.
8. Goggles: We have Speedo Vanquisher ($30) and Engine Weapon goggles ($35) as well as new Nelson Neptunes silicone caps – navy blue ($15) for sale. Due to COVID, you will need to contact us in advance to arrange for delivery at email@example.com. The coaches will hand out one latex team swim cap to each swimmer if he/she wants one at no extra charge.
9. Questions? We really get it that this is a lot of information and hope that everything is clear. If you have any concerns or simply want to know why we are doing something a certain way, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Neptunes will be practicing from January 4 to April 15, 2021, at the NDCC under a Return to Swim plan. Things will be quite a bit different as we are part of a larger phased return to sport plan due to COVID-19. Unfortunately, there will be no hands-on coaching so we will not be able to have any younger developmental swimmers. The swim practices will look different as we must maintain 2m distance between swimmers which means all participants must be able to swim at least 50m without stopping.
To register, please follow this link: Registration link https://cui.active.com/sports-reg/login?a=fa98960e-b93e-4797-9c73-f49891cceaff or click on the registration tab on the left side of our website.
All of the swims teams in the region are part of the British Columbia Summer Swim Association, the largest water sport association in British Columbia.
Come swim with a BCSSA team in the Kootenays! Creston Wave, Castlegar Aquanauts, Trail Stingrays, Colville Sharks, Grand Forks Piranhas, Kimberley Seahorses, and Nelson Neptunes. Teams are planning now to get back in the water in a new way. Please go to your individual team website for more information.